World Harmony Run
The World Harmony Run, founded by Sri Chinmoy in 1987, is a global relay run seeking to promote international friendship and harmony. The World Harmony Run does not seek to raise money or highlight any political cause; it only seeks to promote goodwill amongst the many thousands of people who participate in the event.
Sri Chinmoy is a firm believer in the power of sport in bringing people together, and for the past 2 decades, the World Harmony Run has proved very successful in promoting the very simple message of greater friendship and harmony. A key feature of the Harmony Run is the idea that it is individuals who can make positive change a reality. The simple motto of the World Harmony Run is: "Harmony Begins With Me."
The World Harmony Run is held annually in the 5 main continents of America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australasia. The Run is organised by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team and is very much a grassroots initiative. The runners come from all walks of life and freely give up their time to take part. The runners meet a variety of people during the run, from local mayors and dignitaries, to people who just happen to be passing by.
Aspects of the World Harmony Run
The World Harmony Run visits schools to involve young children in the vision for a better world. Students get to meet the runners, hold the torch and express their own hopes and dreams for a more harmonious world.
World Harmony Run Links
- The World Harmony Run website. - View daily updates live from the road
- Tibetan Monks take part in the World Harmony Run. - Tibetan monks took part in the closing ceremony of the 2006 European Harmony Run
- Video of World Harmony Run - video from the World Harmony Run as it passes through the US
- World Harmony Run - visits the University of SOAS, London, UK
- World Harmony Run turns 20 The World Harmony Run recently celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- Sri Chinmoy - The Founder of the Run